There are definite benefits to owning a pedigree dog:
- The various types of pedigree dogs are the result of many years of selective breeding. All breeds were developed for a specific purpose and documentation is available on their history and heritage. When you buy a pedigree puppy you will know what to expect in the adult dog, as the size, temperament, appearance and characteristics are predictable.
- When considering a pedigree dog, it is possible to narrow down the choices to those with attributes which most clearly fit into your personal lifestyle and interests. For example, whether the dog will be good with your children or whether you will have time to groom and exercise the dog properly.
- Responsible breeders will answer your questions and share their experiences and knowledge with you. They can provide background on the breed and discuss the characteristics of the adult dog. When you buy from a reputable ANKC registered breeder you will receive a documented history of the puppy and you will be able to see one or both parents or other family members.
- Breeders have the experience to give puppies the care and nurturing they need at critical early stages. This not only ensures you'll have a healthy puppy, but that the puppy is much less likely to develop into a difficult adult. Breeders will guide you in proper care and feeding, health issues and training.
- Breeders are there to help you and will continue to provide information and support as your puppy grows.
- Owners of pedigree dogs can join the ANKC state affilliate and participate in a variety of activities and events with their dogs. These provide an opportunity for social interaction with others with common or similar interests.
- All ANKC members are bound by a code of practice and ethics covering responsible dog ownership and breeder responsibilities.
Let us clear up a few misconceptions before you select your next family pet...
Pedigree dog breeders put a lot of time and money into ensuring their puppies are healthy. Careful records are kept with the pedigree of each dog and many breeders even go to the trouble of using artificial insemination from pedigree dogs around the world to ensure the bloodlines in Australia stay strong and varied.
Do pedigree dogs have better temperaments?
This is one of many ways in which pedigree dogs are more predictable. When you get a crossbred dog you don’t know how it will turn out. In addition to health checks, responsible breeders make sure they use animals with good temperaments. Pedigree dogs are just as loving and playful as any, but a predictable energy-level means you can find a dog that fits easily into your way of life.
Are pedigree dogs healthier?
Crossbred dogs are unpredictable in many ways, including health and particular inherited diseases. Pedigrees are tested for issues known to affect the breed, to make sure only healthy, fit dogs are used for breeding. Many diseases are being eradicated in this way. Crossing breeds creates a genetic lottery with un-known results that therefore cannot be tested for in advance.
Do pedigree dogs make good house pets or are they just for showing?
Most dogs bred by ANKC breeders are chosen to be much loved family pets. People choose pedigree dogs because they can select a predictable pet that suits their lifestyle.
When you hear the word pedigree do you think of a Poodle with a lion clip? A hairless Chinese Crested Dog? Those “showie” breeds can make great pets, but don’t forget that predictable pedigrees include Golden Retrievers, German Shepherd Dogs, Rottweilers, Jack Russell Terriers and Border Collies!